Saturday, July 9, 2011

37. Drink nothing but water 5 days in a row AND 67. Eat only local food for 1 week


I thought it best to do these (eat local for a week and drink only water for 5 days) the same week. I decided to put these on my list because:

1. I need to drink more water. When I get thirsty, water is almost never what I reach for first. I'm hoping 5 days of reaching for only water will get me on the path of thinking of it first.
2. I wanted to challenge myself to see if I can go 5 days without sweet tea, milk, juice, and *gasp* coffee.
3. I want to support the local farms and economy.
4. I love going to farmer's markets and thought this would be a fun excuse.
5. I want my children to be exposed to where food comes from.

The rules: Local for this experiment is NC and SC. The only allowance I'm making for non-local is salt. And any homeschool activities that were already planned that involve food are still allowed (my kids will eat, not me).


Start date for nothing to drink but water: dinner, on July 9. End date: after dinner on July14th.
Start date for eat only local food for a week: dinner on July 9. End date: after dinner July 16.


I'll be blogging my daily menus for anyone who cares. Here we go.

Day 1 (July 9)
Dinner: Baked potatoes with sauteed spinach, hoop cheese, garlic, and bacon (for the fam since I don't eat pork) Dessert - figs and peaches
snack: biscuits with honey (yes - we managed to find local flour!)

Day 2 (July 10)
Breakfast: biscuits with honey, blackberries, scrambled eggs
Lunch: green salad with veggies
Snack: peach and blackberry cobbler
Dinner:chicken, sauteed green beans and garlic with lemon grass, cornbread

Day 3: (July 11)
Breakfast: biscuits and gravy, peaches
Lunch: Grits for me (Wendy's for girls, yikes!)
Snack: red peppers
Dinner: Chicken, onion, potato, spinach stalk (similar to celery), corn, and tomato stew

Day 4: (July 12)
Breakfast: grits, blueberries
Lunch: cheese tortilla, red peppers
Snack: peaches
Dinner:  sweet potatoes, sauteed spinach with garlic and red pepper

Day 5: (July 13)
Breakfast: spinach and onion omelet
Lunch: left overs
Snack: cucumbers
Dinner: left overs

yes, this was a lame day.


Day 6: (July 14)
Breakfast: grits
Lunch: hard boiled eggs, sweet potato fries, blueberries
Dinner: corn on the cob, green beans, trout, fried polenta with tomato sauce, tomato and cucumber topped with goat cheese 
Matt's birthday "dessert" - onion rings

Day 7: (July 15)
Breakfast: grits
Lunch: left overs
Dinner: spinach, onion, red pepper, and feta cheese frittata
Snack: biscuits and honey 


Day 8: (July 16)
Breakfast: grits, blueberries
Lunch: left overs
DONE!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm.... sweet menu for the week-- maybe I'll see what the Praha farmers can rustle up.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum to all of it...but I think I would be starving at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete