Monday, May 23, 2011

10. Write at least 2 letters to each child, per year - 2011



 Last letter: I am pressed for time. So, instead of writing individual letters to my 4 girls, I wrote 1 letter to them all. Things that I would want them to know if I died tomorrow. Stuff like "I'm proud of you because you're my kid. Not because of things you have done" and "being your mom is the best job and I love it" and my favorite "marry someone your dad approves of". I pray that they don't read this one for many, many years.

Ava, Morgan, and Kennedy's letters are done (a shout out to Emmaline who slept for hours this afternoon so I could write). What I've realized thus far is that writing letters twice a year is a lot. I've written three letters now to each of my big girls and I'm afraid I'm starting to write the same thing. Although Kennedy's letter was quite easy since I just told her how she is a toddler in the fullest sense of the word. But, I do enjoy thinking about how my precious kids have changed, grown, and (hopefully) matured.

Well, this one is getting increasingly more difficult to do. Like I have an hour to sit down and write 4 letters. I don't even have time to sit down. Much less do anything while I sit. So it's probably a good thing that this is on my list. Because otherwise, it just wouldn't happen. Then in 30 years I'd look back to when my kids were babies and regret not making time.

So, I made time today. To write one. It was Emmaline's. I said things like "You're not sleeping well. All you do is poop. And eat. But I love you more than you will ever imagine." It reminded me of something really sweet: God's love for me. I'm like Emmaline - and yet the Lord loves me more than I could ever imagine. Not because of what I do for Him, but just because I'm His. Thank you my precious Emmaline for reminding me of that.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! ;) And what a great pic of her sleeping. How do they even get comfy enough to sleep in such odd positions. LOL. ;)
    Great timing on your post....I was looking for something to do for my kids that was meaningful for them to look back on (and me too). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, it is amazing that babies can sleep like that! Thanks for reading my blog - I recommend writing letters to your kids at least once a year. I would have loved my mom or dad to have done that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. I write a letter to my boys each Christmas. I buy them a special ornament that reminds me of them and then I write them a letter telling them why I chose the ornament. I, of course, expand the letter to other things but that is where I start. The ornaments will always be kept in special boxes along with the letters so they will (hopefully) read the letters each year as they decorate the Christmas tree.
    ~Katie S.

    ReplyDelete